To All-

Welcome to the wonderful world of providing DJ entertainment for your event! By now you’ve probably figured out that “finding” a DJ isn’t too difficult; it’s the “selection” process that you may find a bit challenging. I hope that the time you invest here will assist you in making an informed decision on a crucial element in every successful event… music, or in my biased opinion… a great DJ! Throughout history, music has entertained royalty, moved Fred and Ginger, and perhaps invoked a first kiss. Your event will be a part of history, and I would like to be a part of it. Whether it’s a corporate gathering, a prom, or my personal favorite wedding receptions, retaining my services as your DJ will be a sound investment. I have the proven ability to infuse your personal style, meld it together with a harmonious balance of professionalism and personality, and create an event like no other. It can’t be said enough, but there are absolutely no “do-overs” in this industry. DJing an event that has your heart, soul, time, and money on the line would be an honor and a privilege. Thank you to my family, friends, and clients, for giving me the opportunity to do what I love!

Best Regards,

DJ Superunknown

Tuesday, March 3, 2009

DJ Superunknown @ The Saint Paul Hotel 2/28/09

I had my first ever gig @ the SPH last Saturday and if you’re pressed for time it was great! If you have the time the following is a brake-down of what went down… I was sub-contracted by Midwest Sound & Light so my only contact with the client was via a phone call a few days prior (I’d much rather meet in person but since I was sub-contracted I didn’t have that luxury), but we hit it off on the phone anyway, and the bride and her future Mr. were looking forward to a fun time. Now on paper it seemed like I had my work cut out for me, the bride & groom were fourty-somethings, had only 70 guests, loved 70's rock, the only must play was their first dance song, and that was all the info I had besides the where and when. No biggie as I love a good challenge, and was really stoked to play at SPH and pop my cherry. The gig didn't start until 6 and I got there at 4 (I like to get to a gig early because you never known what could happen) to get set-up and changed into my "show" clothes. I rocked a skinny tie for the first time with my creepers and I have to say it looked pretty bad ass. Anyway, guests started arriving around 5 for the cocktail hour in the room next door so I took the opportunity to meet the B & G and kinda' size up the crowd for the night. Everyone seemed in great spirits and I'm sure the prospect of an open bar all night long helped out. So around 5:55 the event manager informed me that I would be introducing the B & G which was a surprise to me & the newlyweds as well. I'm steady in the pocket so I cued up "Ain't That a Kick in the Head" by Dean Martin, got the guests seated, and I grabbed the mic and said, "Ladies & Gentleman please rise for your Bride & Groom Mr. & Mrs. so & so." Simultaneously as they entered I hit play and they and worked the room, I wish I had that shit on video cause' I looked rehearsed. So anyway after the blessing and a toast by the Bride’s son I mixed dinner music for about an hour or so I kept it really low just loud enough to hear but just enough to create a back drop to the conversation. A hate it when I’m eating or talking and I have to compete with the TV or music. My technique is to observe who close people have to lean in to listen to each other and I never get complaints cause’ I do it right baby! Ok so around 7:30, I announced to the room that the couple’s first dance would take place shortly, that way people have time to grab a drink, smoke or visit the restroom and the Groom can be grabbed from the bar and the bride can take one last look in the mirror. During the lull I’ll walk around to the bar or the smokers area and politely let the guests know that the first dance is coming. At this point I’ll lie and tell them it’s going down in a minute that way they can get back in time. I personally think it’s rude when 50% of the guests are doing their own thing and miss the first dance, but that’s just me. Anyway, the first dance is flawless and I decide to play to classic slow numbers “Can’t Help Falling in Love” by Elvis and the Ghost soundtrack song by the Righteous Brothers. Everybody recognizes those two songs and their short, besides what chick doesn’t want to slow dance to the ghost song? Right after that I went into a Jive Bunny Swing melody infusing “In the Mood” by Glen Miller with a dash of Buddy Holly, Elvis, Chuck Berry, etc. classic shit with a twist. The music for this crowd was really of the KQ92 ilk but it was fun and the guests kept dancing. Around 11 I really got a nice compliment from the SPH Event Manager who said that any other DJ would’ve cleared out most of the crowd by now with 150 guests but she was amazed that this small party was going strong. I hate to boast, but I like to think that I played a part in making the night a success. Lastly, the Bride gave me a thank you hug and a pretty generous tip Word…

No comments: