To All-

Welcome to the wonderful world of providing DJ entertainment for your event! By now you’ve probably figured out that “finding” a DJ isn’t too difficult; it’s the “selection” process that you may find a bit challenging. I hope that the time you invest here will assist you in making an informed decision on a crucial element in every successful event… music, or in my biased opinion… a great DJ! Throughout history, music has entertained royalty, moved Fred and Ginger, and perhaps invoked a first kiss. Your event will be a part of history, and I would like to be a part of it. Whether it’s a corporate gathering, a prom, or my personal favorite wedding receptions, retaining my services as your DJ will be a sound investment. I have the proven ability to infuse your personal style, meld it together with a harmonious balance of professionalism and personality, and create an event like no other. It can’t be said enough, but there are absolutely no “do-overs” in this industry. DJing an event that has your heart, soul, time, and money on the line would be an honor and a privilege. Thank you to my family, friends, and clients, for giving me the opportunity to do what I love!

Best Regards,

DJ Superunknown

Monday, March 30, 2009

DJ Superunknown @ The Earle Brown Heritage Center 03/28/2009

Last week I was pretty jammed I had to go out to Denver for Homeland and I was planning to fly back Thursday night, but due to a blizzard I couldn’t get out until Friday morning. I hadn’t been to Colorado since I was a kid and I was amazed that a little snow could shut down the city… I could see the Rockies from my hotel, oh well we live in Minnesota and people still freak at 2-4 inches, but I digress…

So Saturday I had a MWS gig at The Earle Brown Heritage Center that included a ceremony, a cocktail hour in a separate room, and the reception that was held in the same room as the ceremony, plus I had to train in a rookie for MWS.

The ceremony started at 5PM w/ seating starting at 4:30, so I got there a couple hours early because I had to set up sound for the ceremony, set up sound in an adjacent room for the cocktail hour, and pre-plan my light set-up for the reception which would take place in the same room as the ceremony (I had to keep the light rig out of sight during the ceremony because it just didn’t look aesthetically pleasing) . It took a little hustle but I got it done, it was actually nice to have a rookie out with me to be my roadie (HA!)

Anyway, the ceremony on my part was flawless, but I did note that the lady conducting the ceremony was new at this due to the fact that she was blocking the sightline of the bride and groom from the guests during some critical times. She also had the B & G say their vows into the mic facing the audience rather than looking into each other’s eyes. I really wanted to stop her but it was too late, after the ceremony I asked her how many she had done and she said three, it showed. The B & G didn’t seem to notice probably due to nerves but I did.

After the ceremony, I ran some Rat Pack tunes for the cocktail hours on auto play and started setting up the lights back in the same room where the ceremony was for the reception. It sucked sweating again after I was dressed up but to me it was worth it. The Bride didn’t care if the lights were set up and in the background of her photos but I did (every good DJ knows that his/her gig only lasts for 6-8 hours, but pictures are forever, don’t get me wrong in that I don’t think DJing creates lasting memories, but 50 years from now… you get the picture)

So I’m set up and just in time to conduct the Grand March and everything is smooth sailing. I pretty much told my rookie to take notes and soak it all in, my only advice to him was to smile and loosen up; he looked terrified the whole night. The dance was elegantly rocked as per usual and the B & G tipped me $160 so I knew they were happy.

I’m grateful to be able to be sub-contracted by MWS and continually hone my skills but hopefully next year this is my own gig.

Lastly, I forgot my video camera. Sorry...

Word…

No comments: