To All-

Welcome to the wonderful world of providing DJ entertainment for your event! By now you’ve probably figured out that “finding” a DJ isn’t too difficult; it’s the “selection” process that you may find a bit challenging. I hope that the time you invest here will assist you in making an informed decision on a crucial element in every successful event… music, or in my biased opinion… a great DJ! Throughout history, music has entertained royalty, moved Fred and Ginger, and perhaps invoked a first kiss. Your event will be a part of history, and I would like to be a part of it. Whether it’s a corporate gathering, a prom, or my personal favorite wedding receptions, retaining my services as your DJ will be a sound investment. I have the proven ability to infuse your personal style, meld it together with a harmonious balance of professionalism and personality, and create an event like no other. It can’t be said enough, but there are absolutely no “do-overs” in this industry. DJing an event that has your heart, soul, time, and money on the line would be an honor and a privilege. Thank you to my family, friends, and clients, for giving me the opportunity to do what I love!

Best Regards,

DJ Superunknown

Friday, March 28, 2008

The 2008 Wedding Season Kicks Off!

So it’s the first weekend after Easter and wedding season is in full swing. I read on the net that approximately 2.4 million couples will be exchanging vows this year. If you‘re reading this blog, you either are a past or future client, or you just happened to stumble upon this. Anyway my next few posts will address receptions, food, music, etc.

So 2.4 million weddings will go down this year and no two will be alike. That said, hopefully each one will be unique and special. I’m sure you’ve been to receptions and said to yourself I would do it this way, or that was cool I should remember that for mine. I’m just gonna talk about a formula I use for the first few hours of a reception. Remember it’s just something that I suggest for my clients that works but it’s not for everybody, and I never expect it to be, but if you’ve never planned one before here’s a few things to keep in mind.

Time Management – You only have the venue for a set number of hours, some venues let you extend late into the morning but they charge a premium. So having a DJ that can roll with the punches, and keep things on schedule is critical. You should be there to enjoy your night and take it all in, not micromanage the whole thing. Having a personal attendant that you trust to make decisions, think on the fly, round people up for the photographer, pull the groomsmen away from the bar when needed, or the groom, etc., and that can work as a team with your DJ (if he or she knows what their doing) will make your night a lot less stressful.


Bridal Party Instructions – At some point when everyone is sober and drama free let your bridal party know the order of events and what you expect. Be assertive it’s your day and you have a lot of time and money invested in that day, and hopefully it will be a memorable one to last a lifetime. Your DJ should not be afraid to recap your instructions to Maid of Honor & Best Man, a successful receptions takes communication. Your reception is your stage and if you think about it, it’s a big production.

Music Selection – The music you select tells your guests and loved ones how you feel about each other and how you feel about them, i.e. Mother Son Dance, Father Daughter Dance, etc.

· Cocktail Hour – I say Rat Pack era. You can not go wrong.
· Dinner Music – The first half of dinner should be something instrumental but nothing that will put people to sleep, the second half should be a little more upbeat, a little Motown, old girl groups, Jack Johnson maybe.
· Important Dances – I suggest picking songs that have some meaning to you, I often have Brides request It’s Your Love by Tim McGraw & Faith Hill or The Way You Look Tonight by any number of artists (Dean does it the best), but anyway is that REALLY your song? Father Daughter Dance - Butterfly Kisses come on, Mother Son Dance – Through the Years (dude, pick the song your mom loves) You get the picture, maybe I’m a little jaded but originality is very cool this year.
· The Opening Set – I love rap and top 40 just as much as the next guy but pick some fun oldies, after all the “older” people brought the good presents.
· Typical Reception Songs – The YMCA, Chicken Dance, Cha Cha Slide, etc. I highly doubt that these are in heavy rotation in your ipod, but these songs get people out of their chairs, so don’t be ashamed of them. Sometimes you have to make sacrifices.
· Mix It Up – Don’t stick with one genre of music, make sure your DJ is hitting all tastes of music, we live in the Digital Music, Jack FM world, people really listen and love all kinds of music, if it’s got a good beat let it rip, let’s say that you absolutely hate country, pick at least one song, everyone likes a good hoedown.
· Special Requests- Honoring your Grandparents with their song is very cool, if a guest is attending your wedding on their birthday have the catering staff bring out a cup cake with a candle, honoring others on YOUR day is classy, and people never forget.
· Kids- Don’t forget the kids man, one or two songs and there off to the hotel pool or going home with Granny.


That’s all I got for now. I’m at the Crown Plaza North for a reception this weekend, and I have no doubt that it will be kick ass.

Word…

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

We already have a DJ booked for our reception this summer but this info is really helpful:)

Kelly said...

Brenander gave my your blog link and I love it! I'm so excited to have you as our DJ. If we pick sucky songs will you tell us to not be such loosers and give us some better options? I've been doing some research on some underground groups so we have can have some unique music. Do you purchas ITUNE music if you don't have it already or should we burn it and give it to you?

Anonymous said...

Rheo was more than we ever expected and very glad he fell into our lap after the other DJ became unable to locate a few months before the big day. He was very knowledgable, and willing to accomodate anything that he possibly could. He is very professional, and he in no way steals the show from your dance floor. It is all about the married couple, and attendees. If you want him to be loud, I am sure he will accomadate that too,but his involvement above playing music is totally up to you. Your options are endless. I can honestly say he stands heads and shoulders above all of the other DJ's I have ever seen at a wedding reception.

If you are looking for the best, look no further than Rheo!

Anonymous said...

Rheo is the most AWESOME DJ any bride and groom could ask for! My husband and I were privledge to have him with us celebrating our special day. Everything from our Garter Toss (Mission Impossible) to the Bridal Party Dance (That's what friends are for), my reception was the bomb. I would highly recommend as I fully intend to use his service again and again.

Thanks so much Rheo...

Jon & Tanya Phillips

Anonymous said...

Rheo was referred to us from a friend. From the initial meeting, we knew we didn't need to look any further. His only concern is making sure that he does EVERYTHING that you want done, when you want it. His attention to detail is by far the best I have seen in a DJ. He helped make the celebration a truly memorable one for both us and our guests.

Thanks again, Rheo!

Brandon and Rosanne Bowen

Ray@Simonetfurniture said...

For those of you who have posted comments I appreciate the kind words. THANK YOU for letting me be a part of each one of your wedding days. It was a honor!

Rheo